Sunday, September 14, 2014

I see no Ships

A very long time ago I was a model. I worked mainly in Paris, Milan and in London.  I was not a supermodel by any means , but I did fairly well. I worked for prestigous magazines including French and Italian Vogue and Elle but the everyday work was more humdrum-and more lucrative-, and involved week long trips doing shoots for catalogues. And here we have, Ladies and Gentlemen, one of the inescapable poses for catalogue modelling. It is called ‘I see no ships’. There is also another very important  pose called the ‘Teapot’ which is well known to anyone worth their salt in  the catalogue modelling buisness, and that is one which I might use another time, if the spirit moves me.. . the fact is, I had no idea that I remembered ‘I see no ships’!  It came back to me quite naturally as if I were in Marbella or in Djerba again. (Two favourite hang outs for catalogue shoots, at least then, and we are talking early eighties.)
And this shoot was of course the tail end of the Malimali shoot, because there remained the swing coat  Vernissage’ to photograph, and Maman did it yesterday. I called it ‘Vernissage’ quite pretentiously, because it seems to me this is the sort of coat I might  myself wear to a London, Paris of Stockholm opening of something, while sipping a glass of something... perhaps wearing a smarter pair of boots, perhaps high healed...anyway, it is all done. Please see the collection on www.malimali.org and on www.facebook.com/malimalistudio

8 Comments:

Blogger Susan Scheid said...

And of course now I want to know the names for all the poses in the photos of you modeling the Vernissage coat. (The backdrop is terrific, too.)

8:52 PM  
Blogger David said...

Once a model, always a model. Sensational. Some time before you'll be doing the 'Mrs Jones knows help is coming' (ie collapsed old lady at foot of stairs) shots...

8:34 AM  
Blogger mary said...

Now imagining what 'the teapot' may look like. What a stunning coat - and pose, of course! New MaliMali collection is wonderful.Do you think a stall at WOMAD next summer would reap rewards? It is such an excellent festival with a strong African musical presence that it may be worth considering.Love the indigo top too.
Mary

10:26 AM  
Blogger toubab said...

Up to you Susan, let your imagination flow! And David, I quite fancy the Stannah lift ad- it looks like fun, I want one of those! Thank you Mary, Womad might be a good idea, although if you look at the collection, what we do is not particularly African of ethnic at all...

3:17 PM  
Blogger Laurent said...

Too funny and so exotic and stylish!

11:17 PM  
Blogger Veenu Banga said...

What a charming post!

4:40 PM  
Blogger toubab said...

thank you Laurent and Veenu! It always nice to be appreciated...

6:43 PM  
Blogger mary said...

No , but it has an African flavour and that wonderful smell of Mali. Fusion is the buzz word these days and that is just what you are producing. I'll even help you man the stall next summer!
Mary

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home